Finca El Injerto was founded in 1874 by Jesus Aguirre Panama. At first, our estate focused on crops like corn, beans, tobacco and sugar cane. It wasn’t until the year 1900 when coffee was begun to be grown and the estate name was changed to “El Injerto” after a zapote-like fruit that is found in the region. More than 100 years and three generations after being founded, El Injerto has 245 hectares of coffee plantations: 70% bourbon variety and the remaining 30% distributed in coffee varieties like Catuai, Maragogype, Pacamara, Tekisic, Mocca and Gesha.
The nursery is a separate space where coffee plants are raised from the seed until they are small plants ready for their final destination. Each plant hole in the plantation is made one year prior, to allow the hole’s walls and surroundings blend better with the environment and provide better conditions to the coffee plant. The nursery system allows to really control the coffee’s quality from the start, and to minimize the use of agrochemicals. Currently our nursery produces a yearly amount of between 25k and 30k coffee plants. To avoid environmental pollution, we don’t use plastic bags to isolate plants since 2002, using reusable plastic trays instead. This trays have a useful life of about 25/30 years.Ok